Job Posting: Summer Reserve Operations Assistant
We will be hiring a Reserve Operations Assistant to work at the Koffler Scientific Reserve (KSR) at Jokers Hill in a full time position from May 15 – August 30, 2019. The Reserve Operations Assistant will work under the KSR Station Manager to facilitate the research and education programming by 1) performing routine maintenance and cleaning of housing, laboratories, grounds, roads, and storage facilities, 2) providing general research support services including GPS mapping, meteorological monitoring and data entry, and 3) organizing housing for visiting students and researchers. This individual will support and be guided by both the Station Manager and the Facilities Manager during the course of the day to complete the expected duties.
The Koffler Scientific Reserve is an internationally recognized site for cutting‐edge research and education in biodiversity, ecology, evolution and conservation biology. It is located on the Oak Ridges Moraine in King Township, north of Toronto. Housing can be made available on the reserve.
- Minimum of two years of instruction in biological sciences at the university or college level.
- Some experience in field research or similar working environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to operate and maintain landscaping machinery (e.g. lawnmowers, tillers, all-terrain vehicles).
- A Valid class “G” driver’s license.
- Understand the risks posed by working outdoors (e.g. uneven terrain, gravel roads, wildlife, insects such as bees, dehydration, weather conditions).
- Basic knowledge of safety protocols related to outdoor work and working with machinery.
- Ability to perform routine physical tasks involved in field station operations.
- Strong work ethic and initiative with a “can do” attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work variable hours.
This position is open, and we will accept applicants until it is filled.
To apply: email email@example.com with a copy of your resume and a brief cover letter stating your background and interest in the position. The email subject should read “Reserve Operations Assistant Application”